How Much Does Scouting Cost?

Council and unit fundraising will help with costs, and will give a Scout the chance to earn the money he needs to participate in summer camp or other programs. However, it is the position of the Sam Houston Area Council that money should not keep a young person from enjoying the Scouting program. If you’d like more information about this, please contact 713-756-3331.

Below is a list of basic needs to get a young person started in each Scouting program, to give you a rough idea of what’s expected. Before you buy anything, however, make sure you talk to the unit’s leader. He or she will be able to tell you about any specific uniform or equipment rules for the pack, troop or crew.

Please also visit our Uniform Exchange

Boy Scouts

BSA Required: $24 registration fee every year and $1 insurance fee.

Uniform, handbook, Boys' Life subscription ($12 per year), camping equipment (your son will need some camping gear but many brands are specifically designed with a more experienced camper in mind; talk with your son's Scoutmaster before buying anything)


Our Troop

Estimated camping fees that Troop 0129 Scouts accumulate thru the year:

10 months of campouts - $30 x 10 = $300

1 summer camp - $250-$350

BSA fee - $25

Troop fee - $40

Boys Life Magazine (if wanted) - $12

Approximate Total:  $690


Troop 0129 give each new Scout a handbook.


Troop 0129 has 3 major fundraisers each year.  We sell Scout Fair Coupon books, we have an Annual Spaghetti Dinner and we sell popcorn.  Other paid events thoughout the year are:  St. Michael's Bazaar, Football Stadium Cleanup and Harvest Fest.


Troop 0129's view is that the Scout pay his way.  You may need to supplement the Scout's account when he first joins so that he can attend summer camp, but any monies needed after that, the Scout should earn.


If you need finanical assistance for an in-council camp, you can request assistance from SHAC.  Fill out the form and send to address on form.

Camperships enable Scouts to have a summer camp experience who, because of financial needs, could not otherwise attend. Limited financial assistance is available on an individual basis for those Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts who cannot attend Summer Camp without this help.

Units should submit individual applications to program services on or before April 15. Campership funds are administered by the Council Camping Committee. Scouts should be responsible for earning at least a portion of his or her camp fee. The maximum funding from camping assistance (campership) is one half the total of his or her camp fee.

            Note: Council camperships are for Sam Houston Area Council camps only.


If you have any questions, please contact one of the Leaders listed on the Contacts page or email us at

TroopTrackHQ, LLC 172 E. Water Ln Vineyard, UT 84059
TroopTrack TroopTrack is not affiliated with or endorsed by Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of the USA, Baden Powell Service Association, Trail Life U.S.A., or Scouts Australia. Any usage of BSA, GSUSA, TLUSA, or SA terminology on this site is for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as an endorsement of this product by any of these organizations. © 2008 - 2023 TroopTrackHQ, LLC. All rights reserved